Lowell Custody Attorney Bruce Gage
When you are involved in a child custody dispute, this may be one of the most challenging, stressful legal issues you will ever deal with. A lot is at stake in a custody battle and an expert Lowell custody attorney will advocate for you and argue for your rights to your children. They can also help you further understand the legal steps and precautions necessary to ensure that your legal rights are protected.
Types of Child Custody
Different types of child custody may be handed down when a settlement is reached in a custody case. It can be extremely difficult on both parents to have limited custody, and work can be done to help mitigate dome of the damages this will cause. However, in the end, the judge will work to ensure that the best decision is made for the child. In Massachusetts, there are several different types of child custody that you must be aware of:
- Legal Custody: A parent who has legal custody may have the right to make important decisions for the child. This may include decisions like which school the child attends, medical decisions, and even what religion the child practices.
- Physical Custody: This type of custody tends to refer to where the child lives. A parent with physical custody will have primary care-taking responsibilities such as providing food, shelter, and clothing.
- Joint Custody: Parents may be able to work out a joint plan where they will share physical or legal custody. Many legal details are involved in these cases and experienced attorneys will need to help you. These details need to be resolved with joint decision-making and custody.
How a Lowell Custody Attorney Can Help
Other issues such as child support also come into play. When you are in the middle of an emotionally trying case, the last thing you may think about is how child support will be arranged. Luckily, through the assistance of a qualified Lowell child support lawyer, these types of issues can be resolved with their expertise. Part of any Lowell divorce lawyer’s skill set is negotiating the tough land mines of child support. Your attorney will be involved with you every step of the way so that they can make sure that you don’t lose out on important details that make or break your settlement.
Generally, Massachusetts law encourages parents to reach an out-of-court settlement over child custody decisions. There are many steps which take you from starting your case to final settling of claims. Your Lowell custody attorney may play a big role in making sure that both parties reach an agreement by taking such steps as:
- Creating a joint parenting plan with the other parent.
- Negotiating throughout difficult custody issues.
- Advocating for your rights.
- Drafting and creating parenting proposals.
- Reviewing details such as payment of expenses, holidays, and travel arrangements.
By going over these steps with you and taking charge of your legal claims, your attorney will help mitigate any possible damages that can occur otherwise. In addition, their representation can serve as a barrier of protection in a battle where no one likes to lose. If an out-of-court settlement cannot be reached, your attorney can represent you in court and present sophisticated legal arguments in support of your requested parenting plan.
Lowell divorce law is extremely complex. With the assistance of a qualified Lowell divorce lawyer, you will be well on your way to securing your position, no matter which side of the settlement you may be on.
Contact a Lowell Custody Attorney
If you are still unclear about all of the child custody issues, and have a question contact Lowell child custody lawyer Bruce A. Gage by calling 978-961-0093.